|Select Board 03/13/2012|
Weathersfield Select Board
March 13, 2012
Reorganization and Regular Meeting
Norman John Arrison
Jim Mullen, Town Manager
Lisa Slade, Recording Secretary
1. Call to Order: Mr. Mullen called the Weathersfield Select Board reorganization meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. at Martin Memorial Hall.
2. Election of Chairperson: Mr. Arrison nominated Mr. Boyer, Mr. Clattenburg seconded the nomination. There were no other nominations. Nomination passed unanimously.
3. Election of Vice-Chairperson: Mr. Clattenburg nominated Mr. Arrison, Mr. Fuller seconded the nomination. There were no other nominations. Nomination passed unanimously.
4. Election of Board Clerk: Mr. Arrison nominated Mr. Clattenburg, Mr. Fuller seconded the nomination. There were no other nominations. Nomination passed unanimously.
5. Appointment of Recording Secretary: Mr. Fuller made the motion to appoint Lisa Slade the Recording Secretary. Mr. Arrison seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
6. Designate regular meeting dates, times, and location: Mr. Arrison made the motion to hold the regular meetings on the first and third Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at Martin Memorial Hall. Mr. Fuller seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
7. Designate newspaper of record for the Town: Mr. Mullen said we have used the Valley News the past few years however, he, Shirley and deForest recommend using the News Review which is published out of Ludlow and delivered by the postal service to each residence in Weathersfield for free. Mr. Mullen said the advertising rates are the same between the Valley News and the News Review.
Mr. Arrison made the motion to designate the News Review as the newspaper of record, Mr. Clattenburg seconded the motion. Mr. Fuller said he would also like to spend money on occasion to publish certain things in other local newspapers. Mrs. Slade said she receives her mail at her residence through Springfield and she has never received this paper. She also noted that she works in Ludlow and she has not received this paper in the PO Box where she works which is surprising since it is published in Ludlow.
Mr. Arrison withdrew his motion, Mr. Clattenburg withdrew his second. Mr. Fuller made the motion to table this until March 20, 2012. Mr. Arrison seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
8. Appoint Select Board Representative to Fire Commission: Mr. Fuller made the motion to table this until March 20, 2012. Mr. Arrison seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
9. Appoint Select Board Representative to Highway Committee: Mr. Fuller made the motion to appoint Mr. Arrison. Mr. Clattenburg seconded the motion which passed without dissent.
10. Adopt Policy for Conduct of Meetings and Hearings: Mr. Arrison made the motion to adopt the policy for Conduct of Meetings and Hearings as presented, Mr. Clattenburg seconded the motion. Mr. Fuller asked if this was identical to the past year, Mr. Mullen said yes. Motion passed unanimously.
11. Adopt Ethics Policy: Mr. Arrison made the motion to adopt the Ethics Policy, Mr. Fuller seconded the motion. Mr. Fuller confirmed with Mr. Mullen there were not any changes on this policy either. Motion carried unanimously.
12. Comments from Citizens and Select Board: Mr. Hudson said the highway department put gravel on Baltimore Road this morning and it is as bad now as it was before they did this, he said this is a waste of money – they should be using stone. Mr. Hudson asked the Select Board to drive on Baltimore Road.
Mr. Arrison said the Library is holding a Town Challenge as a fundraiser on Saturday March 24th at Martin Hall at 7:00 and encouraged the public to participate.
Mr. Todd asked the status on the empty seat on the Select Board. It was said at the last meeting that the Board would look to appoint someone at the meeting on March 20, 2012.
13. Review Minutes from Previous Meeting(s): none to review
14. New Business
A. Open Discussion on Ascutney Fire Department new fire truck and Engine 2: Mr. Fuller said he asked for this to go on the agenda because we have two trade-in offers that expire in mid April and we don’t want to miss out on them. Mr. Boyer asked if we could get an extension, Chief Spaulding said one company already gave an extension so he doesn’t think they would give another one. Mr. Boyer asked how the trade-in numbers relate to the purchase. Chief Spaulding said if they get the bid we get $75,000 for the trade. Chief Spaulding said Dingy has a truck broker coming up this week to look at Engine 2.
Mr. Fuller asked if we had to put the bid in the paper. Mr. Mullen said yes. Mr. Boyer said the Fire Commission should be involved. Mr. Mullen said Pat Daniels is out of Town so that won’t happen before April 1st. Mr. Fuller asked if the Fire Commission got deep into the spec’s already, Chief Spaulding a new truck has been discussed since October.
Mr. Fuller made the motion to set up a sub-committee of Mr. Arrison and Mr. Boyer to work with Mr. Mullen, Chief Spaulding and Rob Compo, Mr. Arrison seconded the motion. Mr. Mullen noted this is a Request for Proposal. The consensus was to send this out as soon as possible and the sub-committee can make a recommendation to the Select Board on April 2, 2012. Motion carried unanimously.
15. Sign Treasurer’s Warrants: none to sign
12. Future Agenda Items: Tuesday March 20th Public Hearing, action on vacant Select Board seat, Lavigne Bridge, Board of Liquor Control, Weathersfield is Togethersfield, Irene Update, Baltimore Road culvert, Old Bridge Road, monthly reports and annual appointments.
13. Adjourn: Mr. Arrison made the motion to adjourn. Mr. Boyer seconded the motion which passed without dissent. The Weathersfield Select Board meeting was adjourned at 7:43 p.m.
Approved by the Weathersfield Select Board on April 2, 2012
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 11 April 2012 09:38|