• Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • Town of Weathersfield, Vermont

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

Select Board
Martin Memorial Hall
5259 Route 5, Ascutney VT
Monday, April 2, 2018
7:00 PM
REGULAR MEETING

MINUTES
APPROVED 4/16/2018

Select Board Members Present: N. John Arrison
Daniel Boyer
Tom Leach
Kelly Murphy

Select Board Members Absent: C. Peter Cole

Ed Morris, Town Manager

Others Present:
Ray Stapleton Wes Hazeltine
Bette Jo Esty Edith Stillson
John Esty

1. Call to Order
Ms. Murphy called the meeting to order at 7:00PM.

2. Comments from Select Board and Town Manager
Mr. Morris said the 1st annual Easter egg hunt was a big success with over 90 people attending. He said 1100 eggs disappeared in 15 minutes. Glenna Coleman did great job coordinating the event. The PTA donated money for candy; the Library trustees helped; DPW put out signs to slow traffic and kept the parking lot clear. The event brought the community together. It was great to see kids playing on the equipment and adults chatting together nearby.

Ms. Murphy said Monday, April 9th will be the reorganization meeting of the Fire Commission.

Mr. Leach asked if the Board could go paperless. Mr. Morris said he and Mr. Butler had earlier calculated that the cost of tablets for the Board would be cheaper than the cost of the paper and postage that go into the paper packets. It would save a lot of time putting packets together as well. Ms. Murphy said she was okay with looking into it, but she wanted to be sure to have some way to make and keep notes on the packet materials.

3. Comments from Citizens on topics not on the agenda
BJ Esty said it was Westley's last week of employment with the Town and she wanted to thank him for 45 years of dedicated service.

4. Review minutes from previous meetings – 3/19/2018
Additions/corrections/deletions:
a. Correct spelling of McMenemy; change Use to US
Motion: To approve
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mr. Leach
Vote: Unanimous in favor

5. Request to extend crushed gravel contract
The stockpile of gravel at the highway garage is getting low. Mr. Stapleton would like to extend the contract to the end of the fiscal year. The contractor is agreeing to keep the price the same. Mr. Stapleton is working on a full-year contract for the next year.

Motion: To approve extension of the gravel contract through the remainder of FY2018
Made by: Mr. Leach Second: Mr. Arrison

Ms. Murphy asked why the contract was so short to begin with. Mr. Hazeltine said they've never asked for a full year in the past. He agreed that a longer contract would make life easier. Mr. Morris said that we had requested a specific amount to be delivered and had written in the short time frame to ensure that it would be delivered on time. The extended contract will stay within the budget for gravel.
Vote: Unanimous in favor

6. Award Contracts
a. Grounds Maintenance
Mr. Morris read the names of the five bids that had been received. The policy on insurance has been softened a bit from last year's version making it easier for independent contractors. There is, however, an extensive checklist of conditions that must be met. A W-9 and a certificate of insurance must be produced before they will get paid. If conditions can't be met by the awarded bidder, then the contract be awarded to the next bid on the list.

Motion: To award a contract for grounds maintenance to TJ Property Maintenance for the 2018 and 2019 seasons
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mr. Arrison
Vote: Unanimous in favor

b. Roadside Mowing
Only one bid was received for roadside mowing. Mr. Stapleton will work with the contractor on prioritizing and organizing the mowing.

Motion: To award a two-year contract for roadside mowing to Thomas Hershey Construction for the 2018 and 2019 seasons
Made by: Mr. Arrison Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

7. Review Ordinances
Ms. Murphy asked the Board to review these ordinances and send comments to her. She will convey them to the Fire Commission for their review and response.

a. HazMat Response
The Board conducted a page by page review. The following comments were made:
• page 3 – 7B: Ms. Murphy asked to add “costs reimbursed to the Town” to make it clearer
• page 4 – 8C(3) and (4): These sections have language in them that don't match the fire agreement
• page 4 – 9(B) and (C): These tasks should be done by a paid employee (namely the Town Manager), not a volunteer

b. HazMat Fire Services Reimbursement
Again, the Board conducted a page by page review. Mr. Arrison said that according to the State, only direct costs can be recovered. He didn't think we could charge for volunteers' time; it cannot be a revenue stream. Mr. Leach his purpose wasn't to make it a revenue stream, but to pay for the workmens comp insurance that we pay on each fireman. Since they are out there actively working, he thought the Town should be compensated to a certain extent. All agreed that that as an excellent idea.

Reimbursement rates for the vehicles is still undecided. Every town does it differently making it difficult to compare. Mr. Arrison suggested checking rates in Windsor and Claremont.

Mr. Morris is looking into amending the rates for highway personnel so it changes with their salary or a current rate.

8. Policy Review
a. Aid to Residents in Need Fund
Mrs. Esty explained that this fund is a quicker means of providing aid than through the Public Funds Trust. It was set up to enable quick response to emergency situations. Mrs. Esty and Mr. Morris explained how the authorization process works. Mr. Morris recommended against putting formal parameters on it. Checks go directly to the vendors and not the individual requesting the aid. There is a $2000 line for this fund in the general fund budget and $5000 in reserve.

No changes were made to the policy.

Motion: To adopt the policy as is.
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mr. Arrison
Vote: Unanimous in favor

b. Budget Committee
The Board agreed to allow more time to appoint members – delete “60 days from town meeting”. No one seemed to know what section B(2) means. It was agreed to remove it.

Mr. Morris will bring the amended policy back to the Board at the next meeting.

9. Discuss Fund Balance
Dave Fuller had raised questions about the Highway fund balance at Town Meeting that Mr. Morris subsequently researched. He discussed the matter with both the Town's attorney and VLCT and agreed that our method may not have complied completely with the statutes. It is agreed that we should carry some sort of fund balance. VLCT came up with the idea of making it an expense item with a revenue line to offset it. Mr. Morris discussed the idea with the auditors. They agreed it's a good way to keep a fund balance as recommended, but stay within the law. This method provides the necessary transparency.

10. Selectboard Summer Meeting Schedule
Mr. Morris suggested foregoing Board meetings at the highway garage, the fire stations and the Bow Church as they don't seem to increase citizen participation and can sometimes be an inconvenience to the host. He suggested holding three summer meetings at the Center Church instead. The Board agreed.

Motion: To meet at the Center Church for the 2nd meetings of June, July and August
Made by: Mr. Leach Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

11. Personnel Update
Mr. Morris said there are currently three positions open. Offers of employment have been made to the personnel/accounting clerk (staring April 16th if accepted) and the truck driver/laborer (also starting April 16th if accepted). Candidates for the Land Use Administrator position will be going to the Planning Commission for interviews.

Mr. Morris said listing job openings on www.Indeed.com is by far less expensive than traditional newspaper advertising and reaches a far greater population.

Ms. Murphy thanked Mr. Hazeltine once again for his many years of service and congratulated Mr. Stapleton for his new position as Highway Superintendent.

12. Board of Liquor Control Commissioners
a. Abbott Brown Inc/dba Inn at Weathersfield, The
12.a.i. 2018 Renewal/Outside Consumption Permit
Ms. Murphy recessed the Selectboard meeting at 8:06 PM and opened the Board of Liquor Control Commissioners meeting.

Motion: To approve the application
Made by: Mr. Arrison Second: Mr. Leach
Vote: Unanimous in favor

Ms. Murphy closed the Board of Liquor Control Commissioners meeting at 8:07PM and immediately reconvened the Select Board meeting.

13. Appointments
a. Veterans Memorial Committee – Chip Cobb
Motion: To appoint Chip Cobb to the Veterans Memorial Committee
Made by: Mr. Arrison Second: Mr. Boyer
Vote: Unanimous in favor

b. Emergency Management Coordinator –
Motion: To appoint Mike Lewallen as Emergency Management Coordinator
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mr. Arrison
Vote: Unanimous in favor

c. Zoning Board of Adjustment – James Cahill, Ethan McNaughton, Dave Gulbrandsen
Motion: To appoint James Cahill, Ethan McNaughton and Dave Gulbrandsen to the Zoning Board
Made by: Mr. Arrison Second: Mr. Leach
Vote: Unanimous in favor

14. Approve Warrants
Motion: To approve the warrants for 4/2/2018 as follow:

General Funds Operating Expenses $24,636.05
Payroll $12,797.67

Highway Fund Operating Expenses $7,568.01
Payroll $9,112.09

Solid Waste Management Fund
Operating Expenses $9,237.48
Payroll $1,300.59

Library Operating Expenses $285.13
Payroll $1,496.23

Grants Operating Expenses $40.00

Agency Monies Operating Expenses $0.00

Reserves $0.00

Long Term Debt $0.00

Grand Totals Operating Expenses $41,766.67
Payroll $24,706.58

Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mr. Arrison
Vote: Unanimous in favor

15. Future Meeting Agenda Items
a. 4/16/2018
15.a.i. Review Ordinances
15.a.i.A. Advertising
15.a.i.B. Animal Cruelty
15.a.i.C. Animal Control
15.a.ii. Approve Local Emergency Operations Plan

16. Adjourn
Motion: To adjourn the meeting
Made by: Mr. Boyer Second: Mr. Arrison
Vote: Unanimous in favor

The meeting adjourned at 8:15 PM.

Respectfully submitted,
deForest Bearse